Saturday, July 20, 2013

A night without power


Last night we lost power about 7:30pm, which meant no fans or nightlights, on for my kids. Cloey did really well; she got in bed and fell asleep. Carter kept asking for his fan to be on. Hard to explain there is no power, so that can't happen. Carter finally got to sleep a little over an hour after we put him to bed.

I didn't realize how much I truly appreciate and need power until we went without it for a little over 12 hours. It was a very hot night, we had the windows open but there wasn't much air coming in. It was quite in the house except every time we walked around or move something, it sounded ten times loud then it normally does with four box fans on high. Terry and I went to sleep at about 9 because there was no power and no light to see, or do anything. We need to invest in some tap lights.

Last night is the longest we have gone without power and it was the worst time, would have been much better if it happened during the day. In the middle of the night I heard Carter fussing, so I grabbed my phone and walked to the beginning of the hallway and into his room. He was standing in the corner of his room; I don’t think he knew the way to get back in bed. I picked him up and brought him in our room. I didn’t want to take the chance of him getting out of bed and not being able to see, to get back into bed again.  I got back into bed laid down and thought I heard Cloey pouting softly. I grabbed my phone again and walked down the hallway, where I saw Cloey standing with both hands up to her mouth, scared. I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was scared. I grabbed her princess foldout couch and proceeded to walk back down the hallway to my room, with Cloey following close behind. I got her couch set up on the floor and Cloey to lie down, then I tried to fall back to sleep. It wasn't easy because I was very hot and there was still no power to operate the fan. I woke up a few different times and tried to turn on the fan, but it sadly, didn’t work.

The next morning I woke up at 7am, still feeling tired, walked out into the kitchen and realized the power was still out. I then got scared that our food in the fridge and chest freezer might have gone bad. I didn’t open either one, I didn’t want to risk letting out any of the cold air because I didn’t know when the power was going to turn back on. An hour after we were awake we finally got back power, I was relieved! I checked the fridge and found that our milk, cheese, leftovers, and chicken went bad. Then I check the freezer everything was still frozen. We did lose a little food- I am grateful that it wasn't much and the majority of our food was safe. 



No comments:

Post a Comment